Storage Tips and Tricks
After knowing what storage facility near you, or that fits your needs, it is essential that you pack your belongings in storage correctly. Here are some storage tips to consider for preventing damage:
- Be sure to clean and dry all the electrical equipment for storing.
- Determine whether your goods will be better protected by placing them in boxes, totes, or other containers. You may need to purchase specialized boxes and other materials to protect your items during the move.
- Thoroughly clean, disinfect and dry refrigerators, freezers, stoves and other appliances.
- Using a few drops of machine oil to lightly coat down all metal surfaces before storing will prevent it from rusting and possible deterioration.
- Pack all books, files, and documents flat, and use bubble wrap, newspaper, or packing paper to fill any empty spaces in the totes.
- Store clothing on hangers before folding them into cartons. Make sure all drapes, curtains, and linens and clothing items are washed and dry to avoid attracting pest.
- When storing dishes and glassware, use bubble wrap and other similar materials to keep it protected. Fill in packing peanuts, or newspaper to fill in the empty spaces inside the box or tote.
- Disassemble furniture and place pieces on a corrugated cardboard mat or plastic sheet before placing on a pallet.
- Chairs should be stacked “seat to seat,” but do not stack other types of furniture on top of each other. Cover all upholstery with light cotton dust covers.
- Wrap lamp bases in padding and store the lampshade and base separately.
- Cover computer screens and large television screens with dust covers and wrap in bubble wrap if you are storing these items next to furniture and other equipment.
- Label boxes or totes for easy identification.
- Don’t forget to use valuable space inside drawers and larger appliances, such as stoves and refrigerators, to store small items.
- Check all boxes are tightly sealed with packing tape with preventing dust and pest from entering.
Easy and Convenient Location
Cannot be stored in the Facility
These are some items that cannot be stored in your unit at any time:
- Toxic materials
- Flammable liquids and fuels
- Perishables / Foods
- Live Animals
- Any other items that need to be in a controlled environment.